Any one who follows us on Twitter (@EquinoxDC) will often see new menu items being talked about and discussed. It is all a part of being seasonal and growing along with what is naturally happening around us. And now we find ourselves March, which for DC means Mother Nature is constantly teasing us with warm weather one day, and then making us bundle up the next; and the apples and hearty greens are start to ween off and we can feel the earth getting ready to sprout summer fruits and vegetables. But what do we do in this in between month? What is the happening things to eat in this time of tranistion? One is Meyer lemons.
And with that I give you 5 things that you did not know about Meyer Lemons:
1. Meyer lemon originate from China and they are believed to be a cross breed between a lemon and tangerine.or orange.
2. They brought state-side by a US Department of Agriculture employerr, Frank Nicholas Meyer, who collected a sample after a trip to China
3. The fruit is more yellow and round then a true lemon and its pulp is a dark yellow and contains up to 10 seeds per fruit.
4. The taste is sweeter, and less acidic in flavor than the more common lemon Lisbon or Eureka grocery store varieties
5. The skin is fragrant and thin, coloured a deep yellow with a slight orange tint when ripe.
Over at Equinox you will see the Meyer Lemon popping up in a few places as well as other some new re-workings of your favorite offerings to bring in what is in season now. So check out the menu page to see what is going on and come by the to see us to give it a taste.